Re: Serious issues with CPU usage - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andri Saar
Subject Re: Serious issues with CPU usage
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Monday 08 September 2003 17:04, Tom Lane wrote:

> It looks to me like throwing a plain VACUUM into your poller cycle
> (or possibly VACUUM ANALYZE depending on how fast the table's stats
> change) would solve your problems nicely.

I compled the pg_autovacuum daemon from 7.4beta sources as Shridhar Daithankar
recommended, and it seems to work fine. At first glance I thought VACUUM is a
thing you do maybe once per week during routine administration tasks like
making a full backup, but I was wrong.

Thanks to all for your help, we can consider this problem solved.

Note to future generations: default postgres configuration settings are very
conservative and don't be afraid to VACUUM very often.

andri