SQL subqueries newbie help - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Alexei Chetroi
Subject SQL subqueries newbie help
Date
Re: SQL subqueries newbie help  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi All,
I need a little help regarding writing some subqueries. For example I
have a table "items" which contains columns: itemid, description; and
another table "events" with columns: itemid, date, event. events.itemid
references items.itemid. Table events contains events regarding some
itemid's from table items, so there could be multiple events regarding
one item from items table. for example:

Table: items
itemid    description
1         Lamp
2         Desk
3         HiFi

Table: events
itemid    event        date
1         purchase     2003-01-01
1         repair       2003-01-03
1         repair       2003-02-05
2         purchase     2003-02-01
3         HiFi         2003-02-01
I'd like to write a query which returns following information regarding
each item: item, date of very first event, very last event.Is this possible? I think I can write several SELECT queries
and
procces them by an application or possibly write some procedure, but
what is better solution?

PS: are there any books regarding complex SQL queries in electronic
format?