Re: SELECT's take a long time compared to other DBMS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Eirik Oeverby
Subject Re: SELECT's take a long time compared to other DBMS
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hi,

I think the problem is the ODBC driver NOT using cursors properly even
if it should. The database itself is not doing anything it shouldn't do,
in fact it has all the needed functionality to handle this request in a
fast and effective way - just like any other respectable RDBMS.

I don't know what ODBC driver you are using, and how it is configrued -
and I never actually used PostgreSQL with ODBC myself. However in the
applications I have developed we DO use 'standardized' DB access
libraries, which work on just about any DBMS you throw them at.
In our development system, which is running on a low-end dual P2-433mhz
box with IDE drives, we routinely test both simple queries as yours and
more complex ones, which at times returns several hundred
thousand (or sometimes even millions) of rows. And processing time is,
generally speaking, in range with what you are seeing on the other
DBMSes you have.

So if PG is indeed returning ALL the rows, it is because it is
explicitly told to by the ODBC driver, so you need to look there to find
the problem. Could there be some kind of connection parameters you are
overlooking, or is the driver too old? Just throwing out ideas here,
most likely you have already thought about it :)

Just thought I'd point out that this is NOT expected behaviour from PG
itself.

/Eirik