Re: NOTICE vs WARNING - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: NOTICE vs WARNING
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:
>
> > Surely a WARNING is a problem that you should probably fix?
>
> How are "should" and "probably" defined?
>
> > Or at least pay attention to.
>
> If it were in fact the characteristic of a NOTICE that you need not pay
> attention to them, why do we have them?
>
> > My thought is that you could turn of NOTICES and not worry.
>
> Well, there are plenty of NOTICE instances that carry a definite need to
> worry, such as identifier truncation, implicitly added FROM items,
> implicit changes to types specified as "opaque", unsupported and ignored
> syntax clauses.
>
> I have a slight feeling that these two categories cannot usefully be
> distinguished, but I'm interested to hear other opinions.

The creation of a sequence during SERIAL creation is clearly a notice:test=> create table x(y serial);NOTICE:  CREATE
TABLEwill create implicit sequence "x_y_seq" for SERIALcolumn "x.y"CREATE TABLE

That is what I used as a guide I think --- notices were things we want
to tell you about, but you shouldn't be concerned about it.  (Hey, I did
it without using "probably").

Pennsylvania19073