One-2-many relation - need distinct counts - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From PS PS
Subject One-2-many relation - need distinct counts
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi gurus,

I have table A, B and need a distinct count of
Accounts from A.  There is a one-2-many relation
between A and B.  Accounts # in A are all unique.
However, in B there will be duplicates.  So the
problem I have is, when I join as follows:
Select Count(Distinct(account_no))
from A, B
where A.Account_no = B.Account_no

I get the correct count.  If I do this:
Select Count(Distinct(account_no)), B.Account_type
from A, B
where A.Account_no = B.Account_no
group by B.Account_type

I get wrong counts because there some are duplicated.
I tried everything that I can think of - subquery, sub
table etc.  I would appreciate some help in writing
the query.  Thanks in advance.

PS