Re: connection/statement becomes unstable following SQLException - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Rob Prowel
Subject Re: connection/statement becomes unstable following SQLException
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
--- Barry Lind <blind@xythos.com> wrote:
> Rob,
>
> There are a couple of things going on here.  First
> is the way postgres
> works.  One postgres gets an error, all subsequent
> sql statements issued
>   in that transaction will also error.  So to get
> things back to a
> normal state you need to rollback the transaction
> after any error
> occurs.  So in general in postgres you can't trap an
> error and continue
> processing without first rolling back the
> transaction that errored.
>
> Also what version of the driver and database are you
> using?  Have you
> tried the latest version from the
> jdbc.postgresql.org website?
>
> Finally, if you turned sql statement tracing on on
> the server you would
> be able to see exactly what was going on by looking
> at the server log files.
>
> This may be a jdbc driver bug, but it also could be
> a number of other
> things as well.

Thank you.  This problem was in fact caused by not
doing a rollback to recover from an "Excepted"
transaction.  Silly me.  I figured that if the
transaction was atomic, then the rollback would be
implicit when if the transaction failed   But after
considering that a single insert into an indexed table
cannot be "atomic", I now see the error of my ways.

Thanks to all who responded.

-Rob