Re: Delete denied? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: Delete denied?
Date
List pgsql-sql
--- Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Stephan, Tom:
>
> Hey, I have a function which can involve some
> records being deleted at the
> end.   The user calling the function has permission
> to delete records (and
> I've tested this), but when I run the function I get
> "permission denied".

I had a similar weird problem recently, also with
7.2.4.  Whether the two problems are related I can't
tell, but...

Situation: user a updates table1 (owned by a), kicks
off a trigger which updates table2 (owned by user b).
Wouldn't work.  I tried every ownership and permission
combination that I could think of without success,
before succeeding by doing a "grant all on table2 to
a".

Since the table access is all mediated through the
application I was not worried about the "all", but the
question remains: why would "grant all" permit
updates, when "grant update" would not?