Re: Buglist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Buglist
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 05:58:32PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> > the LRU chain but rather at it's end? This way a vacuum on a large table
> > will not cause a complete cache eviction.
>
> I think what we really need is a way to schedule VACUUM's I/O at a lower
> priority than normal I/Os.  Wouldn't be very portable :-( ... but if the

Hey, they both sounds like nifty ideas to me!  The portability sure
worries me, though, on that I/O trick.  Still, Oracle (f'rinstance)
made all kinds of optimisations for Sun (and conversely) partly
because, I expect, that's where a lot of their users were, and the
performance or reliability gains were significant.  Whether that is
worth doing for PostgreSQL, when there are probably lots of other
targets to aim at, is an open question.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110