Re: Starting PostgreSQL 7.3.4 server with Webmin - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Aarni Ruuhimäki
Subject Re: Starting PostgreSQL 7.3.4 server with Webmin
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

In Webmin, give the command as postgres.

Starting at boot ? Is this a good idea ? If I boot, I want to see everything
else running ok first ( for PgSql ... ) and then start it manually.

BR,

Aarni

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 01:12, you wrote:
> I just installed PostgreSQL 7.3.4 (new default install) and setting up
> Webmin to be able to administrate it. My question: what is the correct
> command here for staring PostgreSQL server?
>
> from command line (as root) I successfully did it with:
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> but when I run it with Webmin I get:
> Failed to start database server :
>
> "root" execution of the PostgreSQL server is not permitted.
>
> The server must be started under an unprivileged user id to prevent
> a possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.
>

> in install documentation I have options:
> 1)/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> and
> 2)nohup /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data \
>             </dev/null >>server.log 2>&1 </dev/null &
>
> the second one didn't even work from command line. What is the correct
> way to do it?
>
> also, I would be glad to read what is the command for starting
> Postgres in bootup. can I use the same command?
>

> thanks for all ideas.

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Linux RedHat / KDE