Re: Mailing list in French - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Mailing list in French
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:23:28AM -0700, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> I just emailed:
> ---------------
>
>     http://www.smartlinkcorp.com/
>
> Who power the following site (at least):
>
>     http://translation2.paralink.com/

It's nice to have, but I doubt it will be of any help in the long run.
I did some tests and the english generated is worse than mine :-)... but
the biggest problem is that it tries to translate the sample SQL
statements (from spanish to english!), and the result is really weird.
Looks like it first attempts to correct the spelling, and when running
a spanish speller over english text the results can be very hilarating
:-D  Translating that gives meaningless text anyway.

Altavista's Babelfish has the same problems...

"Hay que recordar que la existencia en el cosmos, y particularmente la
elaboración de civilizaciones dentro de él no son, por desgracia,
nada idílicas" (Ijon Tichy)