Re: Why lower's not accept an AS declaration ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darko Prenosil
Subject Re: Why lower's not accept an AS declaration ?
Date
Re: Why lower's not accept an AS declaration ?  (Hervé Piedvache <herve@elma.fr>)
List pgsql-general
On Monday 18 August 2003 13:04, Darko Prenosil wrote:
> On Monday 18 August 2003 10:20, Hervé Piedvache wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > May be my question is stupid ... but I'm a little suprised :
> >
> > SELECT id_letter as letter from my_table;
> >
> > letter
> > -----
> >
> > SELECT id_letter as letter from my_table order by letter;
> >
> > letter
> > -----
> >
> > SELECT id_letter as letter from my_table order by lower(letter);
> >
> > ERROR:  Attribute "letter" not found
>
> Why did you change column name to "letter" in last query, and all the other
> queries have "id_letter" as column name. What is table structure exactly ?
> I assume that You don't have column with "letter" at all.
>
> Regards !

OK, now I see exactly the mistake You are making:

    SELECT id_letter as letter from my_table order by lower(id_letter);

would be correct query, because "letter" is only alias for result column, not
column in "my_table". Sorry I didn't see it first time.

Regards !