Re: more timeofday() and "set time zone" weirdness - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: more timeofday() and "set time zone" weirdness
Date
List pgsql-general
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> jason_priebe@yahoo.com (Jason Priebe) writes:
> > foo=> select cast(timeofday() as timestamp with
> time zone); set time
> > zone 'GMT+4'; select cast(timeofday() as timestamp
> with time zone);
>
> This breaks because localtime() is broken: it
> returns the string "GMT"
> as the time zone.  You can see the problem without
> any reference to
> Postgres:
>
> $ date
> Wed Aug 13 16:09:56 EDT 2003
> $ TZ='GMT+4' date
> Wed Aug 13 16:09:57 GMT 2003
> $
>
> My advice: don't specify the time zone like that.
> Use 'EST5EDT' or some
> other standard timezone specifier.  Or avoid
> timeofday() ... now() or
> current_timestamp would be better choices anyway ...

Agreed.  My problem was that under Cygwin, I was
not able to use any timezone specifications other than
the GMT+X notation.  However, I did find a fix for
this problem:  I tarred up my /usr/share/zoneinfo
files from RH Linux 7.3, and plopped them down into
the Cygwin filesystem, and voila, I was able to use
the "nice" timezone notations, like
"America/New_York".

Specifically, I had to do this:

SET TIME ZONE '/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York'

For some reason, I had to use the entire path to
the file, rather than just 'America/New_York' like
I would do under Linux.  Maybe this little tidbit will
help another poor Windows user.  Believe me, if I
could
use Linux for this application, I would.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my barrage
of questions yesterday.

-Jason Priebe