Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:06:04PM -0600, Robert Creager wrote:

> Thanks for point that out to me.  I dare say that the BEGIN documentation is
> unclear to me, even knowing what I know now.  Why not just explictly say "Nested
> transactions are not supported", rather than "...  The current transaction is
> not affected".  Alright, maybe I still read at Junior High level.

You have to keep in mind that inside PL/pgSQL, the "BEGIN" keyword has a
different meaning, unrelated to the BEGIN keyword in SQL.  In PL/pgSQL,
BEGIN starts a code block, and has nothing to do at all with
transactions.

(I _think_ the original question had something to do with a PL/pgSQL
function -- if this is not the case, please ignore.)

"La espina, desde que nace, ya pincha" (Proverbio africano)