Re: Help! Can't pg_dump anything: handler procedure for procedural language plpgsql not found - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Help! Can't pg_dump anything: handler procedure for procedural language plpgsql not found
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 12 August 2003 01:41, Mark Mikulec wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a very frustrating problem.
>
> I'm running a debian linux 3.0 "woody" server, nothing special, with
> the latest version of postres that apt-get will allow me, which I
> *think* it;s 7.1 something, I don't know how to figure out the
> postgres version.

psql --version

> Anywho - I'm trying to backup my databases, which I
> did at one point, but I have no idea what happened, could have been an
> upgrade. My Dbs have large objects in them, so I would do the
> following as per the man pages:
>
>   pg_dump -S postgres -Ft -b mydb > mydb.tar
>
> But i'd always get the following error message:
>
>  pg_dump: handler procedure for procedural language plpgsql not found

You presumably have a plpgsql function defined but have lost the definitions
to handle this (I can't think how). Try a "createlang plpgsql mydbname" (man
createlang for details).

If you use apt-get to update PG's code, I'd recommend dumping databases before
the upgrade, just in case.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd