{REPOST, CLARIFIED} How to recognize PG SQL files? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Burton
Subject {REPOST, CLARIFIED} How to recognize PG SQL files?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:55:52PM -0400, Joel Burton wrote:

Reposting, with some clarification to my request. Thanks to the several

Yes, I know that a perfectly vaild PGSQL SQL file could contain only
ANSI SQL and therefore not be recognized as PG-related. In that case,
though, it would be recognized by Vim's ANSI SQL coloring, and given
that's all this file contains, that's no problem. ;)

However, given that many people edit pg_dump files (which do contain
pgsql-isms in most cases), and many other people do use non-ANSI PG
features, I figure that I should be able to recognize 95% of the files,
and that's a win since it will consistent highlight PG syntax and make
it easier to scan files, catch typos, etc.

Some easy things:

* if a filename ends with ".pgsql", it will use PG syntax coloring

* if a file contains a comment with "pgsql" in it in the first few
  lines, it will use PG syntax coloring

* if a file contains the comments that pg_dump puts in a file, it will
  use PG syntax coloring.

I'd still like to catch other cases, and still have the following
questions: what features among our extensions are unique to us, and what
features are used by other common DBs? People that have more recent
experience with MySQL, Oracle, SQLServer, etc. can probably answet this
question.

Thanks, everyone!

- j.

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant