Re: Perfomance Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Perfomance Tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:47:07AM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:
> This isn't saying to not use jounraling, but I would definitely test it
> under load first to make sure it's not gonna lose data or get corrupted.

Well, yeah.  But given the Linux propensity for introducing major
features in "minor" releases (and thereby introducing all the
attendant bugs), I'd think twice about using _any_ Linux feature
until it's been through a major version (e.g. things introduced in
2.4.x won't really be stable until 2.6.x) -- and even there one is
taking a risk[1].

My laptop's PCMCIA network card recently stopped working during a
"minor" version upgrade, even though it's almost 6 years old.
Someone decided that "cleaning up" the code required complete
redesign, and so all the bugs that had been shaken out during the 2.2
series will now be reimplemented in a new and interesting way.  Sigh.

--
----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110