Re: sub-sel/group problem - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gary Stainburn
Subject Re: sub-sel/group problem
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Monday 11 August 2003 11:24 am, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I don;t know if it's cos it's Monday or what, but I can't see what's wrong
> here.
>
> I've got two tables, turns which holds a turn number, a task, and where
> appropriate a link to a loco.  The select below works but only shows those
> tasks where a loco is involved.:

[snip]

Having re-read my email and had another go, I've opted for the sub-select
approach, and come up with:

select rtid, concat(task) from    (select  rtid,     case when r.rlid > 0 then      r.rcid::text || ' on ' ||
l.lnumber::text   else      r.rcid::text    end as task   from rides r    left outer join loco_dets l on r.rlid =
l.lid)r   group by rtid   order by rtid

;

Can anyone see any problems with this, or come up with a better approach?
--
Gary Stainburn