Re: Can't load a 7.3.4 dump into 7.4CVS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Can't load a 7.3.4 dump into 7.4CVS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> I tried(!) to load my 7.3.4 data into 7.4CVS.
>
> the Bricolage folks have managed to make a circular definition (at least
> not loadable).
>
> why does each setval() call invoke the pager?
>
> the dump I used is at:
>
> http://www.lerctr.org/~ler/pg.dump.gz
>
> $ ls -l pg.dump*
> -rw-r--r--    1 ler      isis       10989689 Aug  9 11:43 pg.dump.gz
> $
>
> you need to have contrib/dbsize, contrib/pgstattuple, contrib/tsearch,
> contrib/dblink
> installed.
>
> Any ideas, folks?

Unfortunately this looks like a case that the dump needs to be edited for
to move the constraint into an ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT after the
function is defined. In general, this looks like one of those things that
will eventually be fixed by ordering the dumped objects by dependencies.

In general, check constraints that call functions that do subselects (to
get around the check constraint limitations currently) can be problematic
because they don't actually make a strong constraint and can get you into
situations that are not reloadable even if we ordered all the objects
correctly without knowing more than the current state of the data in the
table.