Re: PostgreSql under Linux - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: PostgreSql under Linux
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:03:41PM -0300, Wilson A. Galafassi Jr. wrote:
> I'm installing Postgresql under linux for better performance and i want to know how is the best configuration.

> 1. What is the best linux distribuition for better performance?

The Linux distribution itself isn't that important, IMHO. Spend some time
selecting the right filesystem (check the archives for threads on this
topic), the right kernel (and perhaps compiling your own from scratch),
perhaps some kernel tuning (I/O scheduler, etc.), and so forth.

> 2. Does exists any compilation options to better performance on this machine?

Not compilation options, but there are plenty of configuration settings
you should be tweaking to ensure good performance. You can find a list
of configuration options here:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/runtime-config.html

-Neil