Re: Thread-safe configuration option appears to - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Thread-safe configuration option appears to
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Let's not go there.  I'm not involved in the IP fight, but I am a USER on
> that
> platform, and SCO is thinking ****SERIOUSLY**** about shipping PG on the
> Platform
> as part of their extensions offering.
>
> What the fr*** harm is it in passing -D_REENTRANT into the libpq build on
> UnixWare
> irregardless of the --with-threads* flag?
>
> Same argument for allowing the PORT to determine whether to allow/permit
> the full
> pathname in for DT_SONAME.

We did have a discussion on whether we should enable threading by
default, and the issue was that we don't even have enough platforms
supported at this point, so by running configure with the thread flag,
you are asking us to generate a threaded libpq and ecpg, and we will
fail if we can't.

On BSD/OS, that flag does nothing (the binaries are the same), but we
have the flag so people can know if their libs are thread-safe.  I think
the template files are the way to go at this point.  If we support
threads on all/most of our platforms, we can think about doing something
by default.

Pennsylvania19073