Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Date
List pgsql-docs
Chad, Scott:

> > Yes.  The documentation very clearly states using sequences instead of
> > auto-increment, but it doesn't make it clear that inserting the id's into
> > data by hand doesn't cause the sequence to be auto-matically incremented.
> >  It'd be nice of postgres had a way to trigger an update of the sequence
> > value after every insert containing an id clumn.

Um, how would this be a bennefit?   If you're inserting rows 101-259, how does
it benefit you to have the system automatically increment the sequence from
601-759?

FWIW, in 7.5 we're likely to implement SQL3 IDENTITY columns ... basically
just a SERIAL column where you don't have the option of inserting your own
value, you have to take what it gives you.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions