Domains (Was [PERFORM] Views With Unions) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco J Reyes
Subject Domains (Was [PERFORM] Views With Unions)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Domains were a work-in-progress in 7.3, and to some extent still are.
> Please try to test out 7.4beta and let us know about deficiencies you
> find.

Are domains user defined types? That they seem to be based on what I see
on the docs.

Any drawbacks to using them?

Right now I have a new database I am making and wanted some consistency
accros some tables. Currently I used inheritance to enforce the consitency
since a good number of fields needed to be common among the tables AND the
inheritted tables are basically a supperset of the data, so some times I
would want to access the inheritted tables and other times the parent/main
table.