Re: COPY and domains - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: COPY and domains
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 01 August 2003 08:45, Tambet Matiisen wrote:
> I noticed that COPY is getting very slow, when importing to table, which
> makes use of domains as column datatypes. It seems like foreign key
> validation is especially slow. It takes ages to import table with 25000
> rows, which has foreign key reference to another table with 25000 rows.
> I tried the same tables without domains and it was much faster. Is this
> known problem?
>
> Version: PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on i386-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc
> (GCC) 3.2.3.

I've found a few issues with domains in 7.3.x (note 7.3.4 is out and you
should probably upgrade as soon as is convenient).

Occasionally, it seems PG has trouble identifying operators that are valid and
figuring out it can use an index. This is a shame because defining domains
for things like "tel_num" or "email" is great.

I think some refinements have been put into 7.4

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd