Re: One to many query question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: One to many query question
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wednesday 30 July 2003 20:35, Dave Dribin wrote:
> Hi, I'm having trouble with what I think should be an easy query.  For
> simplicity, I will use a CD database as an example.  Each CD may have
> multiple genres.  Here's some sample data:
>
> Artist                  Title                           Genres
> ----------------------  ------------------------------  ----------------
> Miles Davis        Some Kind of Blue        Jazz
> Metallica        Ride the Lightning        Rock
> Chemical Brothers    Surrender            Electronic
> Radiohead        OK Computer            Rock, Electronic
>
> For simplicities sake, let's ignore normalization on artist and genre,
> and say the tables look like:
>
> CREATE TABLE cd (
>     id integer unique,
>     artist varchar(25),
>     title varchar(25)
> );
>
> CREATE TABLE cd_genres (
>     cd_id integer,
>     genre varchar(25)
> );
>
> How do I write a query to find all CDs that are NOT Rock?  A co-worker
> showed me the following query:

Basically you need to find all the CDs that ARE "rock" and subtract that set
from the set of all CDs.

You could use:

SELECT id,artist,title FROM cd WHERE NOT EXIST
(SELECT 1 FROM cd_genres WHERE cd_id=id AND genre='Rock');

or

SELECT id,artist,title,cd_id
FROM cd
LEFT JOIN  (SELECT cd_id FROM cd_genres WHERE genre='Rock') AS rock_cds
ON cd_id=id
WHERE cd_id IS NULL;

or an EXCEPT clause etc.

See which you like better.