Re: rule causes nextval() to be invoked twice - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From paul cannon
Subject Re: rule causes nextval() to be invoked twice
Date
Re: rule causes nextval() to be invoked twice  (Dmitry Tkach <dmitry@openratings.com>)
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 07:47:00PM -0600, paul cannon wrote:
> Until then, I'll have to make a function to do nextval('main_id_seq')
> with every insert, and have the primary key be INTEGER.

Nevermind- that doesn't work either! Here's the new sample code:

-- Begin demo SQL

CREATE SEQUENCE main_id_seq;
CREATE TABLE main (       id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,       contents VARCHAR
);

CREATE TABLE othertable (       main_id INTEGER REFERENCES main(id)
);

CREATE RULE main_insert AS  ON INSERT TO main DO       INSERT INTO othertable VALUES (new.id);

INSERT INTO main(id, contents) VALUES (nextval('main_id_seq'), 'Fails here');

-- End demo SQL

The same thing happens. The rule tries to put 2 into othertable. Surely
this is a bug?

| paul cannon                                 pik@debian.org |
|                             http://people.debian.org/~pik/ |