Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
I think the issue with multiple users is that a car is good for moving a
few people, but it can't move lots of large boxes. A truck can move
large boxes, but it can't move a few people efficiently.  PostgreSQL is
more like a truck, while MySQL is more like a car.

As an aside, I think Solaris is slower than other OS's because it is
built to scale efficiently to many CPU's, and that takes a performance
hit in a machine with just a few CPU's, though they are working on
tuning those cases.

Of course, this is all just a generalization.