Re: Prepared Statements - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Felipe Schnack
Subject Re: Prepared Statements
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Well, the fact is that this patch would break existing code... so some people, like me, would not be able to update
ourdrivers anymore.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:55:55 -0400
Darin Ohashi <DOhashi@maplesoft.com> wrote:

> If I could throw in a question from the sidelines...
>
> Is this something that a PreparedStatement should be able to handle, in general?
>

> > select * from sometable where x in ?;
> > setObject (1, "(1,2,3,4,5)", Types.INTEGER);
> >

> With a PreparedStatement that gets precompiled, will a substitution like this
> work?  Do other JDBC drivers support this kind of substitution?
>
> It looks like you are exploiting a bug (or perhaps an out of spec behaviour) in
> the JDBC.  If that is the case, then I don't have much sympathy for you losing
> this functionality.
>
> Instead of creating your own driver, why not just subclass Statement into
> something that looks like a PreparedStatement but just glues strings together?
> That sounds like what you want anyway.  It also seems like a much eaiser task,
> especially for long term maintainance.
>
> Darin

 /~\ The ASCII        Felipe Schnack (felipes@ritterdosreis.br)
 \ / Ribbon Campaign  Analista de Sistemas
  X  Against HTML     Cel.: 51-91287530
 / \ Email!           Linux Counter #281893

Centro Universitário Ritter dos Reis
http://www.ritterdosreis.br
ritter@ritterdosreis.br
Fone: 51-32303341