Re: (trigger function) -> ERROR: NEW used in non-rule query - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: (trigger function) -> ERROR: NEW used in non-rule query
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Friday 18 Jul 2003 9:22 am, Terence Kearns wrote:
> I'm writing a trigger which wants to reference the pre-defined NEW record.
>
> I can do this
> idval := NEW.blah;
>
> This works fine!!!
>
> What I really need to do is
> idval := NEW.(quote_ident(TG_ARGV[3]));
> or this
> idval := NEW.(TG_ARGV[3]);

I'll give you the short answer - no you can't do this (in plpgsql). Which
isn't to say it'll never be possible, but not at the moment.

Can you afford to look at an alternative language? I'd suggest looking at TCL,
although I must admit I've never used it myself.

--  Richard Huxton