Re: Table Partitioning and Rules - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Table Partitioning and Rules
Date
List pgsql-sql
Girish,

> I cant possibly index all the cols in the table.

Why not?

Seriously, what you can do is use query logging to log the columns and
combinations of columns that users most frequently ask for.  Then you can
index for those queries.

Your partitioning scheme assumes that users will be searching on the last name
most of the time, so I'd start with that.

> Im getting a little confused here cause eventually I would want to join in
> this 250 million gigantic table as well.. and that would be a real big
> problem causing loads of sequential scans wouldn't it?

Yes, it would.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco