Re: Problem with temporary table -- Urgent - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Problem with temporary table -- Urgent
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thursday 10 Jul 2003 9:39 am, Vijay Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> We are using postgresql 7.3.3, we are encountering the following problems
> when we used temporary tables.
>
> Here with i'm sending my Sample function.
>
> create or replace function TestTemp_refcur(refcursor) returns refcursor As
[snip]
>         lString  := lString ||  '' create temporary table temp_Table( Name
> Numeric);'';
[snip]
>  open refc for select * from temp_Table;
[snip]
> psql:test18.sql:25: ERROR:  Relation "temp_table" does not exist

Sorry about the delay.

The issue is that plpgsql is compiled, so the "open refc ... temp_Table"
refers to a specific entry in the system-tables. When the temp-table gets
recreated it gets a new OID and so your function can't find it.

Solution:
1. Don't use temp-tables
2. Use EXECUTE "..." which gets parsed when the function is run.

Note that this problem applies to any table that gets dropped and restored. I
try to keep my function code in the same file as the table(s) they rely on,
that way I recreate both when I make changes.

--  Richard Huxton