Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 05:47:27PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info> writes:
> > How could it be the transport affects the time for the query as
> > reported by the back end?
>
> How much data is being sent back by the query?

In this case, it's an all-aggregate query:

select count(*), min(id) from sometable where owner = int4;

(Yeah, yeah, I know.  I didn't write it.)

But it's the EXPLAIN ANALYSE that's reporting different times
depending on the transport.  That's what I find so strange.

> Do you have SSL enabled?  SSL encryption overhead is nontrivial,
> especially if any renegotiations happen.

No.

--
----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110