Re: Moving postgresql.conf tunables into 2003... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Moving postgresql.conf tunables into 2003...
Date
List pgsql-performance
Sean,

> The SGML docs aren't in the DBA's face and are way out of the way for
> DBAs rolling out a new system or who are tuning the system.  SGML ==
> Developer, conf == DBA.

That's exactly my point.  We cannot provide enough documentation in the CONF
file without septupling its length.  IF we remove all commentary, and instead
provide a pointer to the documentation, more DBAs will read it.

>   Some of those parameters are based on
> hardware constraints and should be pooled and organized as such.
>
> random_page_cost ==
>     avg cost of a random disk seek/read (eg: disk seek time) ==
>     constant integer for a given piece of hardware

But, you see, this is exactly what I'm talking about.   random_page_cost isn't
static to a specific piece of hardware ... it depends as well on what else is
on the disk/array, concurrent disk activity, disk controller settings,
filesystem, OS, distribution of records and tables, and arrangment of the
partitions on disk.   One can certainly get a "good enough" value by
benchmarking the disk's random seek and calculating based on that ... but to
get an "ideal" value requires a long interactive session by someone with
experience and in-depth knowledge of the machine and database.

> There are other settings that are RAM based as well, which should be
> formulaic and derived though a formula hasn't been defined to date.

You seem pretty passionate about this ... how about you help me an Kevin
define a benchmarking suite when I get back into the country (July 17)?   If
we're going to define formulas, it requires that we have a near-comprehensive
and consistent test database and test battery that we can run on a variety of
machines and platforms.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco