Tables larger than 1GB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From nolan@celery.tssi.com
Subject Tables larger than 1GB
Date
List pgsql-general
I know that when a table grows to the point where it is larger than 1GB,
the backend opens up a 2nd data file.  (And a 3rd when it grows beyond
2GB, etc.)

By testing it, I have learned that what it does (at least on a Linux box)
is to create a file with a numbered extension appended to the name, ie,
if the first file name is 1234567 the 2nd file is 1234567.1, then
1234567.2, etc.  (I wil continue to use these file names for illustration.)

Currently, if I want to place a file on a separate physical drive for
performance considerations, I can move the data file and leave a symbolic
link in the appropriate subdirectory under ~/base.

Having tried it, if I create an empty file named 1234567.1 in another
directory and a symbolic link to it in the ~/base tree, it appears to
roll over to that file properly.

Is this practice an acceptable strategy, and would it work for index files
as well?  Are there any conditions under which this would cause problems?
--
Mike Nolan