Re: cvs build failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: cvs build failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 06:12:31PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> I believe 'configure' will bleat about a too-old bison, but it won't
> refuse to proceed --- and the warning is easy to miss in the pages of
> output that configure produces.

Maybe it should throw an error and refuse to continue if the version is
too old, but the message be verbose enough to let the user know of a
separate switch to configure that would allow it to continue the
configuration ignoring the bison version.

Somethink like
$ ./configure
error: your bison is too old.  Use --ignore-bison if you don't need it
$ ./configure --ignore-bison
[succeeds]

I've seen similar things in other projects...

Major Fambrough: You wish to see the frontier?
John Dunbar: Yes sir, before it's gone.