Re: Break referential integrity. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Break referential integrity.
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Rudi Starcevic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know that if you have a trigger and function then drop/replace the
> function the trigger needs
> to be drop/replaced too so that it can see the new function.
>
> Is it the same for Ref. Integ. on table's too ?
>
> If table B's foreign key references table A and you drop/replace table A
> then the reference from table B to table A is broken and needs to be
> recreated ?

In recent versions, you should not be drop table A without specifying
cascade which will drop the constraint for you (and thus you'll need to
recreate it).  In older versions, I'm not 100% sure what'd happen, but you
probably should drop and recreate it for good measure.