Re: [Kde-i18n-fa] Translation request of pgAdmin3 into Farsi - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: [Kde-i18n-fa] Translation request of pgAdmin3 into Farsi
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dear Aryan,

> Regarding translation of it to farsi, there are a few questions which
> need to be answered before we can start traslating it.

Thank you for your proposal which shows your kind interest into PostgreSQL.
Abbas Izad just registered for doing the translation. Maybe you can get in
touch with him. This can be the start of a small PostgreSQL user group...

The central point for language coordination is pgadmin-hackers@postgresql.org
mailing list. I CC your kind answer to the list. You might be interested to
register in order to follow the translation steps.

> You mentioned that pgAdmin is written using the wxWindows toolkit. Do
> you know wether wxWindows fully supports Unicode utf-8 ? What about
> right to left (RTL) scripts? Has pgAdmin been translated to Arabic or
> Hebrew (These languages are similar to Farsi) ?
>
> Having support for these, is vital in order to be able to write Farsi. I
> have heard great things about wxWindows, but have no idea about how
> advanced it's i18n is.

As far as I can tell wxWindows supports RTL:
http://www.wxwindows.org/manuals/2.4.0/wx460.htm
http://www.wxwindows.org/manuals/2.4.0/wx238.htm#wxlocale

I tried poEdit and was able to paste UTF-8 Arabic and Persian characters from
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/multilingual1.html UTF-8 page to
poEdit.

Unfortunately, my Linux system may not have all necessary fonts, as I had
problems to display the characters. Apparently, it ***seems*** to work on
both sides: poEdit and pgAdmin3. The only way to verify it is to have a try
on a system with Arabic/persian fonts. Also, I am posting a question on
poEdit mailing list.

In pgAdmin3, I had to create a folder with an Arabic locale, using the
canonical name ar_AE. For some unknown reason, "ar" does not work.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel