persistant psql feature suggestion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Pye
Subject persistant psql feature suggestion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greets,
Just a thought for a psql enhancement, afiak, it is not easily possible for persistent connections to a database in a
shellscript..The ability for psql to remain in the background reading from stdin and writing to stdout until explicitly
killed.More specifically, so a shell scriptor can have "persistent" connections to the database by calling psql
once(leavingit in the bg), and redirecting stdio through a fifo(mkfifo)(sending queries by echo > fifo, and fetching
resultsby cat fifo).When I have tried this in the past it will read the query, execute it, and exit when the results
arecat'd from the fifo.

Just wanted to make sure nothing similar enough was already in existence, and if anyone could easily implement this. If
noone wants to, I suppose I'll look into doing it if it's worth doing. :)

Cheers,
James