Re: pg_guc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: pg_guc
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fernando,

> We have a server side GUI utility that among other things let us configure
GUC
> variables.  We badly need to know what variables exist in the specific
backend
> version, which are the min and max values and if possible a description.
The
> option is to hardwire these things into the code which is very awkward (and
we
> want it to work with different backend versions, backends compiled
differently
> etc.).

As the new "GUC List" guru,  I will send you a  list in PDF or SXW format
which covers 7.3 and 7.4 this weekend.    If you database it, I would love to
have the table back in return.

Please note that the actual maximum value for many variables is much larger
than the practical maximum value.  For example, RANDOM_PAGE_COST is only
limited to INT MAX on the host OS, even though all practical values are
between 1 and 10.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco