Re: table alias on update, another update question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From nolan@celery.tssi.com
Subject Re: table alias on update, another update question
Date
List pgsql-general
>     * Allow UPDATE, DELETE to handle table aliases for self-joins [delete]

Thanks.  I need to set up a system for 7.4, in the hopes that eventually
I can become a contributor rather than just a consumer.

I've got another SQL-related question about UPDATE.

I need to update several columns in table1 with either the minimum or
maximum value of a corresponding column in a matching set of rows in
table2.  I'd like to be able to do it in a single query.

The following doesn't work, it updates just one row.

UPDATE table1
set t1_col1  = max(t2_col1),
t1_col2 = min(t2_col2)
from table2
where t1_key = t2_key

I don't seem to be able to use a group clause.

Is there a way to write this query?
--
Mike Nolan