Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom said that our low-hanging fruit is gone and only hard items are
> > left.  This is certainly true.  What is hard to accept is that those big
> > items take _weeks_ of focused development, and we just don't have enough
> > full-time developers who can spend that amount of time to do them.  The
> > sad truth is that there is alway something _else_ to do, rather than
> > block out weeks to code a complex feature.  And these are usually
> > features that can't be done incrementally, but require a huge input of
> > time before there is any payback.
>
> I spent weeks doing hash aggregates, weeks doing IN-subselect
> optimization, and am in the middle of many weeks on FE/BE protocol
> improvement.  I am sorry that you don't see these as killer features
> ... but they are all things that we desperately needed to do.

Yes, I know they are _very_ needed, but they don't increase
functionality the way Win32 or PITR would do.

Please don't feel I am minimizing these features.  If I had to choose, I
would choose those features over Win32 or PITR.  It is just that I
wanted all of them.  :-(

Pennsylvania19073