Re: plpython? (Was: Re: Damn triggers and NEW) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From elein
Subject Re: plpython? (Was: Re: Damn triggers and NEW)
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks, Scott.

I believe that was Kevin Jacobs in a message to pgsql-general
and I've sent him a message about being available for testing.

-elein

On Thursday 19 June 2003 14:27, scott.marlowe wrote:
> As I understand it, plpython currently relies on the rexec call /
> interface to function, and that functionality is going away, so SOMEONE
> has to step up to the plate and change the way plpython is called in order
> to keep it.
>
> I do believe someone on hackers proferred an interest in doing this in the
> last day or two.
>
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, elein wrote:
>

> > I strongly protest the pulling of plpython.
> > Make it untrusted if necessary, but don't
> > pull it.  The capabilities of plpython are
> > much too valuable to trash.
> >
> > At this point I am available as a tester,
> > but not as a developer for any changes to the
> > interface.  Drag me into the frey.  I may also
> > be free to do development a bit later.
> >
> > I am also actively promoting the use of plpython
> > on General Bits and other places
> > so we may get even more resistance to
> > just trashing it.
> >
> > elein@varlena.com

> > > You can check our archives (search for "python" a month or two back)
> > > but it seems that the latest Python release removes rexec because it
> > > had some fundamental security holes.  That breaks plpython because it
> > > depends on rexec.  We could change plpython to an untrusted language
> > > if someone cares enough to develop a patch to remove the use of
> > > rexec.  Otherwise I fear we'll have to pull it.
> > >
> > >             regards, tom lane

> > > TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> > >
> > >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

elein@varlena.com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com
PostgreSQL General Bits    http:/www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
   "Free your mind the rest will follow" -- en vogue