Re: Sort memory not being released - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Sort memory not being released
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:13:02AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> writes:
> > It appears that after a pgsql backend uses memory for sort, it doesn't
> > get released again, at least on solaris. IE:
>
> That's true on many Unixen --- malloc'd space is never released back to
> the OS until the process dies.  Not much we can do about it.  If you're
> concerned, start a fresh session, or use another Unix (or at least a
> better malloc package).

Holy ugly batman...

This is on solaris; is there a different/better malloc I could use?

Also, would doing the sort in a seperate process solve the problem? IE:
doing a 'blocking fork()' on entry to the sort routine? (Sorry, I'm not
a C coder...)
--
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!)                    jim@nasby.net