Re: Growing Database Size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Godee
Subject Re: Growing Database Size
Date
Re: Growing Database Size  ("Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in>)
List pgsql-general

> You probably want to use a reindex. If you have an index on a column
> that only increases or decreases over time, the index won't be able
> to use reuse pages that are no longer in use. This is fixed in 7.4.

I'm kinda having the same type of problem, I'm updating a entire
database nightly with.....

BEGIN
DELETE (deleting all rows from a table)
DELETE (deleting all rows from a table)
COPY (populating with new rows)
COPY (populating with new rows)
COMMIT
VACUUM (analyze)

Since I don't fully understand the whole "FSM" settings and
can find "NO" doc's or "ANY" info on how to tweak these settings
besides an email now and then saying to up them. Not only that but
(as of a few days ago) there seems to be no way to search prior posts
on this topic. The archives seem to be off line, last time I tried it seems
my IP address wasn't in the "pg_hba.conf" file and google SITE: searchs don't work
either, "The page can not be found" errors.
So my database just grows and grows and added to my monthly list of todos, I take the
database off line into single user mode and reindex and vacuum full.

Am I missing something? Does anyone know where to find any doc's on how to
adjust the FSM settings?
I usally try to do my home work before asking these questions, but.....

Any help in understanding this process would be great, I think it would help others too,

Have you checked the size of your database lately?

Or is all this stuff updated in the newer versions, I'm running 7.2.1.