Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]
Date
List pgsql-general
On Saturday 14 June 2003 12:06 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > Getting the Linux, FreeBSD, and other geek news sites their press release
> > is just as important, but, that's a different audience who needs a
> > different press release.  ZDNet and its ilk could get the mainstream
> > release, with only a link to the homepage.  The geek news gets a meatier
> > press release, with links to the home page, downloads, and release notes.
> >  And Hackers gets the release notes.  One size does not fit all.
>
> ISTM Lamar's struck the nail pretty square on the head here.  We have
> several easily-identifiable audiences for release announcements.  We
> have to provide each audience with the material they want.

The current plan for the next major release is to write up a general press
release to be distributed to -announce and to the list o' press contacts.
It'll also go up on the various websites. However it *won't* be sent to the
-hackers list.  This worked well the last time (save the hackers part) and I
don't think anyone has brought up a reason to change it.

> I believe the current core team ("technical core" if you like that
> phrase) understands what sort of info the pgsql-hackers audience wants.
> I'm very happy to defer to someone else's judgement on how to present
> the same info to non-hacker audiences.
>
> Seems like the next problem is to figure out exactly who gets the last
> say in those decisions.  I made a lot of sweeping statements yesterday
> about earning one's respect by track record ... but I'm not sure what
> we do in the short run before anyone's established track records ...

we can sort that one out with whoever shows up on -advocacy.

Robert Treat