Re: Linux 2.6 kernel, - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Linux 2.6 kernel,
Date
List pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 09:55:19PM +0200, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> > Afaik, most of such changes to the new kernel branch are independent of
> > whatever you run on top of it.
> > There are improvements in scheduling of processes and threads, there are
> > improvements on diskacessing algortims (I think) and such.
>
> However there are a couple of things that probably will need some
> effort from the PgSQL camp.  Examples are the futexes thing (fast
> mostly-user-space mutexes that are said to be much faster than SysV
> semaphores) and async I/O.

Of course, we use SysV semaphores only to sleep on while waiting for an
event, like a lock release, so there isn't much win there --- we already
have user-space mutexes in shared memory on all platforms.

And on async, I don't think we have a sure benefit from that either.