Re: Backups and restores. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Backups and restores.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Saturday 07 Jun 2003 1:09 am, Brian Avis wrote:
> I am upgrading my workstation to 7.3.3.   I have some database backups
> that were created with this command.
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump $db | gzip >
> /usr/local/pgsql/backups/$filename
[snip]
> \connect - postgres
> CREATE SEQUENCE "time_periods_id_seq" start 3 increment 1 maxvalue
> 2147483647 minvalue 1  cache 1 ;
[snip]
> I get this error.
>
> pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive
>
> So what sort of terribly obvious thing am I doing wrong?

To quote from 'man pg_restore'
"pg_restore  is  a  utility  for  restoring  a  PostgreSQL database from an
archive created by pg_dump(1) in one of the non-plain-text formats."

You've got plain-text there. You can restore it with psql -f ...

> I tried to do a search for this in the mailing list archives but the
> database is apparently temporarily down.  :)  Go figure.  Just when I
> need it.

Disk failure on one of the machines, I believe.
--
  Richard Huxton