Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off
Date
List pgsql-hackers
SET autocommit to 'off' is going away in 7.4 so the SET USER command
will not work anymore in that release, and I can't think of a
workaround.  There will be interface-specific settings, I assume, but I
am not sure how that would be controlled per-user.

> > I have searched the lists archives for the words "commit", "autocommit" and
> > "transaction" but couldn't find any discussion on wheter to give a database
> > administrator the option to turn automatic commit off  was is a good idea or
> > not (not requirering the user to enter BEGIN; to start a transaction).
> >
> > Do you know the title of the thread or some more details on where to find
> > the arguments? I look forward to read that discussion. :-)
> >
> > Personally I am managing a database for approx. 500 people which are all
> > VERY dependant on the correctnes of the database. Sometimes, when we do
> > manually fixes in the database, it takes a series of statements before our
> > data mangeling leaves the databases in a consistent state again. Therefor it
> > is a quite serious problem for us if we forget the BEGIN-word (which happens
> > quite often :-( ), so we could really use the config file option mentioned.
> >

> I can't remember the discussion very clearly but I seem to recall that it was
> some sort of issue with some, but not all, of the interfaces.
>
> However, ignoring that you can set autocommit to off by altering the user. For
> example if the user you do the fixing as as described above is called dba_1
> then if you do:
>
> alter user dba_1 set autocommit to off;
>
> whenever you log in as the dba_1 user you will find that the autocommit is
> turned off.
>

> --
> Nigel J. Andrews

Pennsylvania19073