Re: Accessing 2 different databases in the same query ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nagib Abi Fadel
Subject Re: Accessing 2 different databases in the same query ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Well actually the 2 databases are on the same machine, so i wanted to know if  using the dblink for accessing 2 tables each one in a different database will dramatically slow down the query (specially if it's a join query), Comparing to a query on 2 tables on the same database.
If it's the case i would consider replacing the 2 databases with one database, but does this have any disadvantage does it make queries slower if the database grow in size ???

Thx for your help

Darko Prenosil <darko.prenosil@finteh.hr> wrote:

On Monday 02 June 2003 10:39, Nagib Abi Fadel wrote:
> From what i read dblink let's us access another database in the same query
> ... Which is great. But does it slow down the query ??

What do You mean slow down ? In compare to what ?
If You question was is such query slower than the query on tables in local
database, the answer is YES. Let me describe the mechanism of dblink:
Your backend process becomes client of another backend (on same or different
server). dblink establishes connection to remote database, executes the
query, and send data to Your backend.

I use dblink over slow ISDN connection, so You can figure out how slow it can
be, but that is the beauty of dblink: You can query servers that are anywhere
on the network !

> And what about making references between tables (creating foreign keys) is
> it possible ?????

No, but you can create "remote view" using dblink and then do the same thing
using triggers(foreign keys are just specific triggers).
There are few samples in dblink documentation - check them out !

Regards !

Do you Yahoo!?