Re: db growing out of proportion - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Creager
Subject Re: db growing out of proportion
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, 30 May 2003 09:11:39 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> said something like:

> Also note that no amount of vacuuming will save you if the FSM is not
> large enough to keep track of all the free space.  The default FSM
> settings, like all the other default settings in Postgres, are set up
> for a small installation.  You'd probably need to raise them by at least
> a factor of 10 for this installation.

Tom,

Thanks for the hint.  I just upped my shared_buffers to 8192, fsm_relations to 10000, fsm_pages to 100000, sort_mem to
64000,and an UPDATE which was taking over 2 hours dropped down to  1 to 2 minutes!

Nice...

Thanks,
Rob