Re: Table Relationships - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Table Relationships
Date
List pgsql-performance
Andrew,

> Are you sure you want to say it that strongly?  After all, if you
> have a data set which needs always to be returned in the same static
> format, why not just denormalise it?  It's sure faster that way in
> every system I've ever encountered.
>
> It's only when you actually have relations to cope with that it
> ceases to be an advantage.  So, as usual, it depends on what you're
> trying to do.

Yeah, I suppose so ... if all they're doing is reporting on a static set of
data which is not transactional ... sure.  If it's a disposable,
limited-time-use application.

However, I have yet to see in my professional experience any application that
was really this way and stayed this way once it was in use ... relations have
a way of creeping in, and planning for them is less messy than refactoring.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions